Every filmmaker or animator, whether professional or student, can submit as many works as he/she likes. There is no submission fee. In order to register your work, you must fill and send the entry form.
Deadline for registration is JULY 31st, 2018.
1. The filmmaker declares that she/he has the copyright of the work and should be regarded as the sole maker. The person submitting the film/video declares with her/his signature below that she/he is entitled by the owner of the rights in the film/video to undertake such submission and that the owner of the rights agrees to the enclosed regulations in their currently valid form.
2. The festival reserves the right to screen/present the selected films in any festival circumstances and activities (but only under the name of Kinofest).
Kinofest activities consist of:
- presentations and screenings during the festival, the award event (the gala)
- the festival retrospectives
- in exhibitions, lectures
- in a TV broadcast
- in a catalogue (in printed or electronic form)
- on the official website of Kinofest
- on a partner web-site/platform, available only for Romanian IP
- other materials/activities
All our activities will be marked with the festival’s name, all the films will be presented as part of a selection, in groups, so they will not be used separatly. Our activities are not permanent, they are limited in time (usualy they last few days). In all circumstance, the organisers will assure and guarantee the safety of the films, so no copy will by possible.
3. The festival reserves the right to use trailers, music and still images of your work for promotion and marketing purposes (only under the name of Kinofest) – maximum 30 seconds.
4. The movies with dialogues (in any other language than English or Romanian) are accepted only if they are subtitled in English or Romanian.
5.The films selected for the online competitions will be published on our Youtube Kinofest Channel, and will remain there permanently (so, even after the competitions end). By filling the entry form, and registrating/sending your film for the Online Competitions, you agree with this condition.
6. Accepted Formats
Accepted formats are MP4, Quicktime, AVI, MPEG 2, DVD-VOB
- 5 seconds black before the movie starts
- export your movie as quicktime 720x576 pixels with dv-pal compressor and 48kh sound or 1280x720 pixels with dv-pal compressor and 48kh sound, or 1920 x 1080 pixels with dv-pal compressor and 48kh sound
7. Competition categories
ONLINE (1-23 September)
The Online competition is for ANIMATIONS. The selected films will be upload on Youtube Kinofest (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBsd6sm3DreHwH6IxIJtr2w), and available for the public voting (with “like”). The film that gathers most vots will win the competition.
We accept films entirely computer generated, 3D animations, digitally composed hybrids which mix different techniques, eg. live action, 2D animation and 3D animation, works produced with Adobe Flash. We accept all genres, whether artistic or commercial productions.
3D SPACE , FX MIX_2D_3D, FLASH, MACHINIMA,OTHER TEHNICS - produced in 2011 or later.
OFFLINE (21-23 September)
The selected films will be projected in a cinema, on 21-23 September. The jury, one for each section, will choose the winners: Best Animation and Best Fiction. If the budget will allow us, we’ll have two more prizes – a Jury Prize for each offline competition.
Animation (3D SPACE , FX MIX_2D_3D, FLASH, MACHINIMA,OTHER TEHNICS) - produced in 2014 or later.
For the Animation category we accept films entirely computer generated, 3D animations, digitally composed hybrids which mix different techniques, eg. live action, 2D animation and 3D animation, works produced with Adobe Flash. We accept all genres, whether artistic or commercial productions.
Fiction (max 20 minutes)
For the Fiction category we accept films of all genres, produced 2014 or later.
The only condition for the participation is adherence to the duration of the total footage of 20 minutes.
8. Registration of the film:
You can send the film only online.
You can use, for example, www. yotransfer.ro (3GB), www.dropbox.com or www.wetransfer.com (up to 2MG), etc.
We recommend the MP4 or MPEG 2 format for the online submition.
Required materials for the registration:
- copy of the film (formats are specified above)
- the entry form filled
- still images
- trailer (if possible)
The Entry Form must be signed, in order to be selected for the competition.
All registered films will be submited to a pre-selection process. The Kinofest Team selects the films which will take part in competitions.
The film will not be selected in any of the following cases:
- the digital videofile does not work technically or it is too big
- the film does not fit into any of the Kinofest categories
- the film violates any Romanian or European laws
- the film does not match the artistic standards of the Kinofest Festival
The OFFLINE Animation and Fiction competitions will take place duiring the festival, when the Kinofest jury will choose the Best Animation / Best Fiction. If our budget will allow more, we’ll be able to have also 2 Jury Prizes, one for each section.
ONLINE Animation and Fiction, and also Micromovie competition will take place online, between 1-23 September. All shorts competing for these prizes will be published on the Youtube Kinofest channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBsd6sm3DreHwH6IxIJtr2w) and will be voted by the public – with LIKE. Of course, the film most voted will be the winner, one for each cathegory.
11. Information regarding only the offline selected films (those projected in the cinema, during the festival): the films may be selected in the festival, in a non-competitive section. We have many programs off-competition: presentations and screenings of invited artists /festivals/countries, programs with certain theme, etc. The films screened in these programs are part of the official selection of the festival, but they do not compete for the prizes.